Grand Italy and Sicily (Preview 2019)
Additional Included Highlights
- Rome: Visit St Peter's Basilica. See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum as well as other medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered through the city.
- Baveno: Join us for the Italian the social ritual of la passeggiata.
- Verona: See the Roman Arena and Juliet’s balcony and the reputed Capulet home.
- Venice: A vaporetto cruise delivers you to St Mark’s Square. See St Mark's Basilica, the bell tower, clock tower, Doge's Palace and Bridge of Sighs.
- Florence: See the Gates of Paradise adoring the baptistery and the basilica where Michelangelo is buried. Witness a traditional Florentine leather-work demonstration.
- Sorrento: See an intarsio demonstration and enjoy views over the Bay of Naples across to Mount Vesuvius.
- Alberobello: See the clustered trulli, built with from limestone and without mortar.
- Taormina Riviera: Visit the courtyard of Palazzo Corvaja and stroll along Corso Umberto to Piazza IX Aprile.
- Palermo: See Quattro Canti Square. Visit Palermo Cathedral.
- Alberobello: After embracing the town as its natives do, enjoy Dine-at-Home experience as you are welcomed into the home of a local for a freshly-prepared meal, typical of the region. Dine with the family for dinner and learn more about their life.
- Alberobello: Stop at a cellar for a local insight into the robust wines of the region with tasting.
- Included Quality Dining: 16 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 7 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Vatican City: Be among the select few to gain VIP access to the Vatican Museums, see the Bramante Staircase and Michelangelo’s ceiling in the Sistine Chapel.
- Rome: Explore the backstreets of Rome and experience local life, alongside a passionate Roman who will explain how modern life takes place around ancient treasures like the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, the Living Room of Rome.
- Venice: Visit an artisan showroom and workshop to see master craftsmen honouring age-old Venetian crafts.
- Pompeii: Walk with a Local Expert through the cobbled streets of this ill-fated town, frozen in time since the 1st century.
Stay at the Best Addresses
- Rome: Located in the heart of Rome, the luxurious Hotel Romanico Palace offers easy access to all the historical sites of the Eternal City.
- Alberobello: The Grand Hotel La Chiusa di Chietri is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the scenic surroundings.
Top Rated Highlights
- Vatican City: Venture inside St. Peter's Basilica and see Michelangelo's Pietà, and the splendid dome.
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Pisa: Your Local Expert will show you the baptistery bristling with marble spines, the colonnaded bell tower lurching behind the 11th century cathedral and of course, the famous Leaning Tower in the Square of Miracles.
- Cinque Terre: Led by your Local Expert, visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site with dedicated time to explore two of the five charming fishing villages.
- Portofino: Get a taste of the ‘sweet life’ when you visit this elegant fishing village, before cruising to Santa Margherita.
- Italian Lake District: Experience the social ritual of la passeggiata.
- Verona: During your orientation, walk past the well preserved Roman Arena to Juliet's balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance villa.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Venice: Delight in the magic of this charming city as you are serenaded, travelling through the atmospheric canals by gondola.
- Florence: Visit the Accademia Museum with a Local Expert to see Michelangelo’s masterpiece, David.
- Florence: Enjoy a walking exploration with your Local Expert to see the Florence Cathedral, with its bell tower and baptistery. Wander through the open-air gallery of Piazza della Signoria and Piazza Santa Croce, famous for its luxury goods.
- Florence: Witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Sorrento: Perched upon the cliffs, lookout to see the mighty Mount Vesuvious across the Bay of Naples.
- Isle of Capri: Cruise to this famous isle and in the style of the jet-set, enjoy a ride by open-top taxi.
- Isle of Capri: Explore Capri town with your Local Expert and see the whitewashed houses, winding alleyways, small cafes, fashionable boutiques and artisans studios.
- Matera: Visit this UNESCO World heritage Site and see famous Sassi or cave dwellings, which were home to about 20,000 people until 1950.
- Alberobello: Led by your Travel Director, explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site showcasing the Trulli of Alberobello. Circular structures with conical roofs that are domed within, built from local limestone and stacked without using mortar.
- Taormina Riviera: Explore this fascinating place with your local Expert. Visit the Greek Theatre, see Palazzo Corvaja and wander Corso Umberto to admire the views from Piazza IX Aprile.
- Palermo: Discover the Sicilian capital with your Local Expert. See Teatro Massimo, the Quattro Canti Square and the Fountain of Shame. View the composite architectural styles of the Palermo Cathedral and visit the Palatine Chapel, showcasing some of the finest examples of Norman art.